Saturday, November 29, 2008

An Economic Christmas, Day 1

This Christmas, as in Christmases past, we're on a budget (I guess that's not any different than any other year). This year though, I decided that I'm going to give my kids things they can use. I'm tired of buying them toys that they get bored with that I end up throwing away in a few months anyway. So, I decided to do a homemade Christmas. We are getting them b-i-k-e-s (you have to spell it so they don't know what it is) but I can't make them so we do have to buy them. But other than that, I'm going to use my semi-craftiness and make some fun things they'll like.

I thought I'd share because I know other people might be in the same boat. I'm going to try everyday to post a few things that I'm doing and that you might like to make yourselves.

For the first one, this is something we made at our Super Saturday this year. I found it online and loved it the moment I saw it. It's a crayon roll. I found it on skiptomylou.org. Here's the direct link.


This isn't the one I made (I'm too lazy to take a picture). For mine, I used flannel from Joanne's. For Kendals I did princesses, polka dots, and stripes and for Brandon's I did bugs, stripes and light green. I bought a half a yard and I think I was able to get 4 or 5 out of them. You do need three different prints, but it's still really inexpensive if you look for a sale or print off a 40% off coupon. The ric-rac was about $1.50 and I was able to get 2 done from one package. It does take a little while to make, about a 1/2 hour to 45 minutes for each one, but the outcome is awesome. We take them to church with us and get so many compliments. I've given them away for birthdays and the kids love them. Easy and cheap!

The next thing I'm giving them for Christmas are rice bags. I found these rice bags with a removable outside on Sew, Mama, Sew. Here's the direct link.

Again, I used the flannel from Joanne's. Kendal - princess, Brandon - bugs. I made mine a little bit different though. I wanted mine shorter and squatier so the outside bag is 7x12 and the inside bag is 6.5x10. Also, I used stick on velcro dots instead of one big piece of velcro. It cuts a little bit of time off. I filled mine with rice, but next time I'm going to use dried corn from IFA. The rice was a little too spendy for me. I know....I'm cheap!

Next, is rainy day playdough. I haven't started on this yet, but it looks pretty self-explanatory and easy (that's always a plus!). I found this on littlebirdiesecrets.blogspot.com. Here's the direct link.

You could easily use a scrap of fabric to do this one. It'd also be a great gift for your kids to give their friends.

I'll be back tomorrow to post more cute make-it gifts. If there's anything you'd like for me to find instructions for, leave me a message and I'll scour the net.

No comments:

Post a Comment