Wednesday, November 12, 2008

$230 Dollars and Two Missing Teeth Later...

This is not a story for the faint of stomach. It's kind of fun to read about but be glad you weren't there to witness it.

About the beginning of October we noticed that one of Brandon's front teeth was loose and his permanent tooth was already up behind it. He's been asking us since Kindergarten when he was going to loose a tooth and the time was finally here! He wiggled it and wiggled it (we weren't allowed anywhere near it for fear we might pull it out) but it wasn't coming out. I told him we could have my dad (Papa) take it out. When I was little, he tied my tooth to string and tied the string to a doorknob to try and get it out. It didn't work, but I thought maybe it could with Brandon. Not a chance. Even his cousins tried to get him to pull it out. One suggested that he bite down on a carrot. He tried, biting down softly, but it didn't work. So his cousin said, "Try again." And then when Brandon went to bite down his cousin pushed on the top of his head. It's the thought that counts, right? So, since no one was allowed to touch his tooth and he wasn't going to pull it out himself I had to take drastic measures, it was time to call the dentist.

We go to a great pediatric dentist. His office is so cool (because that's what matters right?) with tvs in the ceiling and video games they can play while they wait. So we headed over on October 22 to pull out not one but two teeth! I guess they do them both at the same time so they can come in correctly.


This is Brandon's loose tooth with the new tooth coming in behind it. Sorry it's blurry, I was in a hurry. Perpetually late... No surprise there.

The above two pictures are of Brandon laying peacefully in the chair while watching Open Season. Who was to know that as soon as the dentist walked in all heck would break loose.

It was horrible! The dentist walked in and just wanted to look at his teeth but Brandon wouldn't open his mouth. It was full on thrashing, squirming, sitting up, etc. Anything he could do to keep his mouth shut. And this was after he'd been on the gas for about 10 minutes. I felt so bad for him because I knew how scared he was. But his teeth had to come out. Finally we were able to get him to open his mouth so the dentist could look in. Then, he had to have a shot to numb his gums where they were going to pull both teeth (the other tooth wasn't even a tiny bit loose). The dentist is really good about giving shots so the kids don't even know what happened. But that wasn't the case with Brandon. He felt the needle and screamed like he was dying. We tried to calm him down, but he wouldn't stop screaming so the dentist put the gas mask over his mouth so the kids in the waiting room couldn't hear him (they still did). He was still thrashing and trying to sit up so I had to almost lay on him to get him to calm down. He never did, the dentist just grabbed the pliers and yanked. When he pulled his teeth out, blood went flying out of his mouth and I almost lost my breakfast. Then Kendal started crying because she had seen everything that happened. And then it was over. Thank heavens. I think next time I'll have to give him a horse tranquilizer before we head in. I'm kidding! If anyone has any advice for next time, since I'm sure there will be a next time, let me know and I'll be sure to try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment