Thursday, August 14, 2008

Birthday Boy

Today was Brandon's 7th birthday. I was going to write a long poetic post about how much I loved him and I was going to post some dang cute pictures of him as a baby and show even cuter pictures of him right now but I don't have my computer because it got a virus and it's getting fixed! This was not just a little virus either, this was a hefty bag size virus.

Norton let it in and then couldn't find it to get it out. Malwarebytes couldn't find it either. Granted, Malwarebytes found the malware that was hanging out having fun, but it couldn't find the virus that was making my life miserable. Whatever it was, by the third day I was so sick of it that I was ready to pick up the computer and throw it out the window. Yes, I was that desperate. Every time we got on the internet, whatever it was, was using our internet connection to send spam to people.

Now I know that everyone loves a little spam on a sandwich (I personally LOVE it with my eggs in the morning.) but nobody likes spam in their inbox. One nice thing about Norton, was that they blocked (I hope) most of the spam from going out. At first we couldn't figure out what was going on with the computer. Norton kept popping up odd messages about emails not being able to be sent. I wasn't sending any so I figured there was something wrong with Norton. Because really, how could it be blocking emails that I wasn't sending?

I finally figured it out when one message (out of about 300) from Norton appeared saying that our message to [insert random email address] with subject line [insert random subject, they ranged from freezers to Russian watches] could not be sent. Then it clicked, somebody is using my connection to send spam. Then I hurried and yanked the internet connection out of the wall (anyone know anything about drywall?). Then I threw the computer out the window. Don't worry, I covered it up with cardboard. It looks fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment