Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Crazy Fun!

This week started off completely crazy. Long story short, my Grandma is in the hospital after a bout of dementia that was caused by dehydration and an infection. She's doing great now and should be out in a couple days. I tried typing up the long story but it kept going on and on and I was even bored reading it so I won't subject you to that. So, that was Sunday. Yesterday I got a call from my sister-in-law (Travis' wife) who said that Travis had been hurt at work. He works on an oil rig in Wyoming. We're still a little sketchy on the details as he was on morphine when he talked to my parents (who are in Atlanta till Friday, they left last Saturday) to try and explain it. My dad couldn't understand him so he handed the phone to my mom and said, "You were a speech therapist, maybe you can understand him." She couldn't though so we're missing a few details. The story could be this: he was carrying something that wasn't tied down and it fell and then he fell. He hit his head, back and shoulders really hard and broke his ankle. His head was bleeding but they checked him out and it's fine. The doctor said his ankle was the worst break he's ever seen. His foot came completely detached from his leg. Yuck! He tore a whole bunch of ligaments and they had to use two plates to put it together. He can't put any weight on it for two months and will be out of work for a year. Despite all that, the doctor said he can come home tomorrow. So his wife went up to pick him up today and will be bringing him back home tomorrow. She's such a trooper! I think I would be a sobbing, quivering mess, but she's holding it together. She's amazing!

So, to prevent further tragedy from befalling the Carney or Barney family I have taken severe preventative measures. My children, as we speak, are wrapped with pillows secured with duct tape, lest they even think about breaking a bone or even walking (it could harm them). I have turned off my power, water, electricity and gas since a freak accident COULD happen. And I have decided to walk or bicycle everywhere I need to go. Nope, never mind, I won't even leave the house since something could happen. We're scheduled to go to California on Sunday so I have to keep the family safe until then. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment