Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Wherein I Cry

It's been a rough week. I won't lie. I won't exaggerate. I won't even sugar coat it. It sucked. And the suckiness {if that's a word} is still going strong. Granted, I've had much rougher weeks, but it's been awhile so I'd forgotten to bring my A-Game.

Last week we had a meeting with some school district uppities. {They had the results of a test B had taken in 2nd grade.} While they looked us over like spoiled meat, we cringed, knowing they were thinking we'd stolen our oldest kid from some smart people, because how could he have come from us? They talked, we nodded; a little shell shocked to do much else. Among their suggestions on how to educate this rare oddity was to grade skip him.

We didn't know what to do. We didn't know what to say. This was new territory and we weren't Lewis and Clark. They at least had a compass and Sacajawea. We didn't have either and they really wouldn't have been helpful in this situation anyway.

So we talked to people. Most times, the response was positive. We met with a group of people who have their own rare oddities and they had awesome advice also. But when it really came down to it, the decision was ours. So, we did it. We decided as parents that we could not in good conscience not do whatever we could to help him progress. This wasn't a decision we took lightly. {I look a little zombie-like and I think if you tried to hold a conversation with me I might unwillingly nod off.}

And after it was decided, I cried. I knew it was right, but here I was sending my just barely baptized eight year old to the wolves. And then, all the negatives wouldn't leave me alone.

He'll be in a grade with kids 2 years older than him.
He won't have any friends.
They won't like him.
They'll pick on him because they know he's supposed to be in third grade.
They won't let him play with them.
He'll be alone.

Everything I read and everyone I talked to said he'd be fine. Heck, even the test he took said he'd be fine. But in my heart, I was scared. No child should ever have to feel alone and I certainly didn't want mine to feel that way.

When I walked him to class this morning and heard a few kids ask why he was there, my heart ached. When I left him and he looked a little smaller than them, my heart cracked. But, when I checked on him during recess and saw him standing alone, my heart broke.

As I stood by the lunchroom door crying silently, I questioned my once strong decision.

Was I wrong?
Was this the right thing to do?
Would he be ok?
Would he ever make friends?
Would he be alone for the rest of 4th grade?

The test said he'd be ok. Everyone I talked to said he'd be ok. Even my head said he'd be ok, but I couldn't reconcile that with my broken heart.

And still, I cry. Because I wonder.

9 comments:

  1. wow... i wish i knew what to say. that must have been such a painful decision. if you knew as you made the choice that it is right, then that is what you must do. but as for the hurting in the meantime until all is made right... that is the terrible part. worse for you because you love him so much. i am here. seriously. because i am just so fond of you i can't believe it. i believe all will be okay. brandon is such a cool kid, everyone will love him! that's true doctrine. i'm thinking about you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. strangely, you and and derek DO look a lot like lewis and clark. all will be well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Melip! I can relate a bit to the painful side of such a big decision. But first off, wow, Brandon, you are a smarty pants!
    Okay...I'm in a bit of a similar situation only that I constantly worry about Kyler and his ability to talk to his peers and teacher. I am worried that I sent him to school too soon, but at the same time I don't want him to not progress.
    You are strong! I know the both of you will get through this. It's always hard at first...but you'll adjust and he is so fun, I'm sure he'll be making friends in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, first of all, my heart is breaking with you. Everyone who thinks it must be so easy and simple to have a child who is super-smart just doesn't understand the troubles it can bring. And, the fact that the folks from the school district suggested he skip a grade (something they just don't do) means that he is completely brilliant and older mentally than his physical age. I have fourth-grader who would be friends with them if he were in her school. I am sure there are many like her at his school. Hang in there! It will all work out, and he will be grateful that he isn't in a class "learning" things that he already knows.
    Okay, new thought... If he is in school with an awful bunch of 4th graders, could you move him to the other school? Then, he'd be the new kid, and everyone loves the new kid. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Br-ache my heart! Oh Melissa, I feel for you. School is an aweful place ;) What an experience for such a young guy? He is definately being prepared for something special.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WoW! what a hard thing. I am so sorry. I started crying as I was reading and I can't even imagine how it would be. Just stay strong, He will make it through and so will you! Brandon is a very smart kid and he will do good. He has a great personality and hopefully it will just take some adjustment. I love you guys and wish you the best. If you need anything just call. Oh and the baptism was great! thanks for letting us stay we had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you made the right decision. When I was in the second grade the teachers recommended that we get a monkey, and we got marie. It has turned out super good so far. On a more seriouse note I think he will be fine and so will you. You guys are great parents and he is a great kid.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all so much for your kind words and support. It's true that God puts people in our paths to help us out in times of need. Thank you all. And Jon, I'm glad the monkey thing has worked out. She seems very well trained.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh your poor Mother's heart! Sometimes it's more painful to be the parent!

    ReplyDelete