Thursday, September 17, 2009

The Over Protective Parents Club

Today Derek decided to take the title of overprotective parent from me. I was more than happy to hand it over. In light of yesterday, he decided to head over to the school to stalk our child during recess. He invited me, but I politely declined with,

"No way, I don't want to see that again."

I'd seen enough social carnage yesterday to last me a lifetime. It's funny the things us mothers can and can't handle.

Blood, puke, pee, poop? Not a problem!

Seeing our own flesh and blood standing alone on a playground? I did not sign up for that! That's where I reach my limit.

So, Derek headed over to the school to make sure our son was being socially accepted by the older, bigger fourth graders. And if he wasn't? Heads were going to roll!

He headed to the school, and I headed over to give plasma. One form of torture per day, I say! A little while in and I get a call.

"What's he wearing?"

I gave him a description of the child needing over protection and he said,

"It looks like he's playing with a group of kids over by the fence."

I almost started to cry. He found friends! He wasn't destined to be alone forever!

"Oh wait, that's not him. Never mind."

Okay. Now what? No friends? Alone forever?

We hang up. I'm hoping and praying he'll find him with a big group of kids, them lifting him up on their shoulders, showering him with candy and flowers, thanking him for gracing them with his presence.

He called back a little while later. He found him and even talked to him. He said he was walking around the track {they have to do a lap each recess} by himself kicking a soccer ball. But, he was happy! He didn't care that he was alone, he was having a great time! And when he was done with his lap, he approached a group of kids playing "Helicopter, Helicopter" and asked if he could play.

And that's when I remembered one of my favorite things about Brandon.

His confidence.

He's the type of person that can go into a group of people and make friends with all of them. He's not afraid to approach people. And, he's not afraid of being rejected.

I forgot that yesterday.

I'm afraid of all those things and in my fear of him being accepted I'd forgotten that he's not me.

There is hope for him yet.

{Thank you everyone for your kind words and support. I appreciate it more than you know! Friends are the best!}

2 comments:

  1. Happy to hear you all had a better day! Things are looking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, brandon! you go play helicopter, dude!
    it's a good thing there are fathers, really. they have a place in the world, after all.

    ReplyDelete