Tuesday, September 1, 2009

I didn't say I was a genius...

*As an explanation, for some reason, sharing my stupidity with the rest of the world makes the whole situation a little easier to deal with.*


These are my new toys. Purchased for $100 each at Lowes. Yes, I said $100 dollars. Crazy eh? The washer was used and sounds a little noisy, but we're getting that fixed. The dryer, brand new, just discontinued, with the manual still taped inside.


We're loving them until it comes time to dry the clothes. We put them in, and wait. Five hours later our towels are dry. I call my mom and ask her if her front loader takes a really long time to dry clothes. Nope.

So, I try every configuration that I can, trying to get some warmth. Nothing. It is just cold air. So, I call Lowe's and talk to a really nice lady at Samsung who puts out a repair order. The repair lady calls yesterday and says that the guy will be out about 10:00 today. And, she adds in, that if it's just human error related to hook up and there's nothing wrong with it they have to charge us $60. That's fine, we say, because we've checked every possible configuration in the back as well as the front to try to get it to work.

So, when he showed up, shined his little flashlight in the back, and said to me,

"This is a gas dryer. And a gas dryer won't work if it's not hooked up to the gas."

I wanted to melt. I wanted to crawl in a hole. I wanted to disappear. I wanted my face, which was bright red from embarrassment, to stop flaming.

Now, you may think we are completely stupid, but really, we're not. We've never had a gas dryer. We had these for almost 13 years, and they're both electric.


We even read through the manual to try and figure out what could be wrong. There were no diagrams of gas dryers and how to hook them up. So really, we were just clueless.

After I stammered my way through explaining to him that we bought it on clearance and didn't even ask, and we've never had a gas dryer, and on and on and on.... {I tend to stammer A LOT when I'm embarrassed.} He said to me,

"I'm really sorry but I have to charge you $60 for this."

I knew it was coming, the punishment for our stupidity. As I wrote that check out, my stomach churned a little. Okay, a lot. And flashes of fun things I could do with $60 flashed through my head. Heck, flashes of unfun things {like groceries} flashed through my head.

As I handed him the check, I wondered if I could just shove him outside, snatch back the check, lock the door and pretend it was all just a really bad dream. But alas, I couldn't muster up the courage.

He left, I called Derek, and he laughed. I'm not quite there yet.

8 comments:

  1. i'm sorry that is so funny! that made my day. don't worry, we all do funny things like that some time or another. thanks for the great laugh. =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha ha. Sorry for your embarrassment but that is TOO FUNNY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, ok, I'll make you feel better. We had to pay $200 because Kate and Olivia flushed a package of baby wipes down the toilet.

    We paid $2000 because Dave emptied the carpet cleaner into the bathtub (Technically, that one would have happened eventually because it was an old tub that needed to have parts fixed.) He added draino to the tub to help it unclog and instead ended up burning through the pipes and sending acid water running down the basement (thus causing $2000 in damage).

    Count yourself lucky it was only $60!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all, good for you for finding a deal like that! I soooo want a front-loader... One of these days. Now, you shouldn't even be messing with the gas hook-up. Lowe's should have mentioned something about that. So, I would blame them. Totally a lack of customer service on their part.

    ReplyDelete
  5. he.he. sorry, melip. i have done so many truly retarded things during my time here on earth that just sounds sweet and innocent. he.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Geeze! Ya know that is just not fair! Do you know that they are banking some big bucks on other people's lack of knowledge? Is that how you should run a business?? Not in my opinion. But on a brighter note...you still only paid a total of 160 for a dryer that usually costs 1500 (just guessing).:) So, still a huge deal, I would say.:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is hillrious!!!! When I first started reading I thought to myself... It's a gas dryer!!! I am saying I am a genius!!! LOL Yeah right. It has happened to me too! That's how I knew. I miss you girly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. dear melip,
    i miss you. let's be friends.
    love, maretard.

    ReplyDelete