Tuesday, January 6, 2009

New Year, New Rules

As I was laying in bed yesterday, taking a nap, feeling SO guilty (and not just a little bit, my guilt doesn't do little) because there was a list of about a million things I should have been doing, I made up some new rules for myself. Our friend, home teacher therapist taught us about "Governing Purposes". Don't worry, I'm not going to get all crazy, therapy girl on you! It's really simple, you decide who or what you want to be. For example, I want to be a good mom who takes care of her kids and her family. Now, when you go to make a decision, you decide if that falls under your "Governing Purpose" and if it doesn't, you don't do it. Laying there in bed, I really thought about this nap and the guilt that was overtaking my mind. Now really, how many of you feel that guilt? I know I do on a regular basis. I think it's because I feel I have to do and be it all. And if I'm sleeping, I'm not being all I can be (in the army). So, I thought really hard about the nap and decided this... I took a nap because I wasn't feeling well. And, if I'm not feeling well and don't take the nap to rest up and get myself better, and I get sick and can't take care of my kids, am I doing what my "Governing Purpose" is? No. So, I decided that part of being a good mom and taking care of my kids and family is taking care of myself. So, if you can't get a hold of me some time don't be surprised if you stop by my house and I'm passed out in bed. I'm just taking care of myself!

Oh, and we're going to try to adopt a baby this year! After 3-1/2 years, we decided that instead of paying the money to go to an infertility clinic, buying pills, medicine, etc, (our insurance doesn't pay for any of it) we'd put our money away and do it this way instead. So, put out some good thoughts and prayers for us. We're venturing into unknown territory, so anyone with any experience is welcome to weigh in. I'll completely take advantage of your knowledge!

And... I'm going to run the Seattle Rock & Roll Marathon with Derek in June! I started off with my one mile today! I'll get there or die trying.

And... I'll post Christmas, when my "Governing Purpose" tells me to! That may not be for awhile, but I'll let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment