Thursday, July 2, 2009

You can play wii for as many minutes as you pull weeds...

That's how it's been at our house for awhile. I decided that my kids needed something to do this summer besides having too much fun. I remember as a kid pulling weeds every day and I thought it would be great for them to do the same. {Funny how as a kid we swear we'll never do that to our kids.}

So, at the beginning of June, we planted a garden. I wish I had a before picture, because it was horrid! We started out with a four foot pile of dirt. Derek and I spent two days leveling it out. {With a little help from our friends...err...friend! Thanks mom!} Then it was to the nursery to buy some plants where some know-it-all nosy guy admonished us by telling us it was too late to plant. Mind your own beeswax dude! It's never too late! {Unless there's snow on the ground. Then it might be too late.}

Here it is in all it's splendor! It's growing beautifully. And, it's so much fun for the kids to see things that they planted growing. Sadly, my kids are not growing in the hard worker category. But, we're getting there! I figure if I torture them enough, eventually they'll learn.

{Oh, and to those parents who want their kids to have a little hard work, give me a call! There's plenty of weeds to go around!}

6 comments:

  1. holy garden plants, batman! they are excessively beautiful. how do you grow things here? it's a mystery i have tried to solve so many times, only to be thwarted. i can see you will need someone to help you consume your bounty. that is where i come in. and way to teach your children the work ethic! what a parent you are. what a green thumb you have, melip. love, maretard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one weed free garden. Your kids must be addicted to the wii. I know my wife will now try to pass this rule onto me so thanks alot. Your garden is lovely. I love those people at the nursery. They make me feel like a landscape/garden retard. And if you ask my wife and her family they will let you know I am.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've got EVERYTHING in that garden! How fun. I love the satisfaction of growing food :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's probably the prettiest garden ever! Way to go Barney's!!

    Oh and who in the family actually eats habaneros?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What weeds????? Your garden looks amazing! I didn't get my garden planted until June either, so hopefully mine will be as successful as yours! I can only hope. My plants usually get really big with no fruit, but someday. someday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your garden and the idea behind pulling weeds. I feel the same way...i really want my kids the learn the value of hard work but can't seem to find anything nearly as hard is what I had to do growing up! hehe It's been so fun to keep tabs on you, you still inspire me to do better. You are an amazing person. Miss you.

    ReplyDelete