Wednesday, July 1, 2009

It's not ripe!

Those are the words that I uttered {or maybe slightly yelled} to my daughter last night as we watered the garden.

I tried not to get upset as I told her for the twelve billionth time that the tomatoes weren't ripe and she couldn't pick them.

When she informed me that she was going to pick a pepper {ha, ha} and I told her no because they weren't ripe, I tried really hard not to get upset.

Then, she did, pick the pepper that is.

I didn't yell, I just pulled weeds.

Then, when she decided to pick up the hose and water everything {including the dirt and the new blossoms} I decided to pick my battle.

I don't often do that, pick my battle, and for that I sometimes feel like an inadequate mother. I tell myself it's for the best, because why fight over something that doesn't really matter?

So, I picked my battle, picked her up and moved her off the garden. She decided that time would be a good time to roll on her back and play dead.

And I let her.

I pulled weeds.

As she screamed and cried about how she couldn't get up, I pulled weeds. Trying to come up with some way to handle this tantrum.

As she cried {fake, for my benefit}, I remembered the tarantula hawk we had seen earlier dragging the poor spider it had caught, back to it's lair.

And as I pulled weeds, I subtly reminded her and said,

"I really hope there's not anymore spiders in the grass."

Up she hopped and it was all over.

Not in my mind though. I wondered how on earth I was going to survive this five year old phase. I'm sure it's the same as how I survived the 2, 3, and 4 year old phases.

But as I watched my mom with her, the two of them pulling weeds together, my mom praising her every step of the way, I figured it out.

There it was, so easy.

Love her, respect her, praise her, and still...pick your battles.

2 comments:

  1. You're such a good mom! sometimes it's so hard to pick battles! It seems like there is always one to pick. Sometimes you don't want to have to battle at all! Will that day ever come??? Probably not!

    ReplyDelete
  2. okay. can i just say how happy it makes me that your adorable and angelic looking child plays dead? that. is. just. so. hilarious. it is so hilarious because it is not my child and i am so happy to hear there are other children out there with an unreasonable sense of the dramatic. and don't measure yourself to grandma. that is not fair, grandma's cheat by sheer experience and the fact they are not always with said child. my mom loves to give me little pointers. which is interesting, because when i was a kid, i thought she was a complete lunatic! :)

    ReplyDelete