Monday, May 18, 2009

Three Truths and One Lie

Last week, cjane did Three Truths and One Lie on her blog. She invited all to participate, so here it goes. This week, I'll post three truths and one big fat lie. On the last day, you'll have the opportunity to vote and see how great you are at detecting my blatant lie. Good luck!

Story numero uno:

We've lived where we live for a little over four years now. It's been great and we've made some really great friends. One night about a year ago, there was a knock at our door. I answered it and there was an unfamiliar person standing there. She asked me what time church started on Sunday and where it was. I told her, we talked for a little while and she told me her name was Jenny and they had just moved in around the corner. I decided that it was my mission to introduce her to our "group" and since we have become great friends. Not just with her, but with her husband, Dave, and their kids.

Her husband works for a certain company that's spokesperson lives in a tree and makes cookies. My favorite kind...with the chocolate in the center shaped like a little person that might live in a tree and make cookies. Anyways, one night we were over at their house and she asked him to dress up in the costume. That's when we made a bee-line for the door and decided we were good with the friends we had. I kid. We were a little worried though and wondered what on earth we were getting ourselves into and if we should grab the kids and run.

He went into the garage, was in there for a few minutes, and came out in full elf regalia...even down to the red tights. We laughed and the kids were terrified and all ran away. Jenny told us that sometimes the stores in the area that he stocks, have him come in all dressed up when they have promotions. She explained how much she loved the costume but especially liked his legs in the red tights. She had affectionately called them "girlie legs". We had a great time at his expense and thought it would make a great conversation starter sometime down the road.

Now, fast forward a few weeks....

We're in a grocery store where we live and who should be there, but an elf. We knew it was Dave and wanted to have a little fun with him. Derek debated going up to him and pushing him down. I kind of discouraged that because it might be a little difficult to pick him back up. I thought it'd be funny to go up to him and make fun of his "girlie legs". We debated back and forth and figured the "girlie legs" would go over better and there wouldn't be any violence. So, I walked up to him and told him,

"Nice girlie legs! Those are hot!"

There wasn't any response which I figured there wouldn't be because he was in "the zone". Be the elf. We went on shopping and thought it was a little odd that the Dave-elf was now following us around the store. We just figured Dave was trying out his hand at stalking.

We got our groceries and was checking out and I thought I'd call Jenny and tell her that we'd seen Dave and what we'd said to him. She answered and I said,

"Hey, we saw Dave down here at the store all dressed up and I went up to him and told him he had nice girlie legs."

There was a pause and then she said,

"Dave's right here with me at home."

"No, he's not."

"Yes, he's standing right here."

"No way! I just told that person that they had nice girlie legs."

She laughed and laughed and laughed and then when she was done laughing she laughed some more. I was mortified.

I thought that I should probably fix what I had done and apologize to the elf. The bad thing about apologizing to a person in a costume is where to look. You're really not sure where their eyes are and it's a little uncomfortable. So, I found the elf. Which really wasn't that hard as it had been stalking us; maybe it had to do with the girlie legs comment? I stumbled through a lame apology about having a friend and blah blah blah thinking he was it and I'm sorry and it won't happen again Mr. Elf and probably a million other things because I felt like a complete idiot. Guess what the elf said.

Nothing. No comment.

Then I felt even more stupid. So, I left and guess who followed me out.

1 comment:

  1. That is hilarious! I can't tell you which is the truth and which is the lie...but that story tickled my funny bone!!!!

    ReplyDelete