Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Three Truths and One Lie, Story Three

Last week, cjane did Three Truths and One Lie on her blog. She invited all to participate, so here it goes. This week, I'll post three truths and one big fat lie. On the last day, you'll have the opportunity to vote and see how great you are at detecting my blatant lie. Good luck!

This story is a great one and it goes all the way back to my middle school days. When I was in seventh grade, there was this boy in eighth grade that liked me. We'll call him "Bob" to protect his dignity. Every night he would call me about ten times. Now, this was before caller ID so I couldn't just not answer the phone. Each time, I'd hang up on him and tell him not to call anymore because I didn't like him. This one-sided love affair went on until Bob moved into high school. I was left at the middle school and so we didn't see each other anymore.

Until high school, a year later, and something changed. I was infatuated with Bob. I wanted to date Bob and be his girl. Now though, Bob didn't want me. He wanted to flirt with me and lead me on, but he didn't want me for his girl. I was heartbroken and still, so infatuated. I wanted him though and I made a complete fool of myself following him around, trying to get his attention so that he'd like me the way I liked him. It didn't work though and I spent a lot of time, wasted time, on him.

Then he graduated. After he graduated, we went on a few dates, had fun, and were pretty good friends. Although, there was that pipe bomb he threw at my house that broke a window...the parents weren't real happy about that. {How he ended up a cop is beyond me.} But we ended up being good friends. I graduated, we continued to be good friends and went on some more dates. Then it was time for him to leave on his mission.

The night before his mission we were standing outside my house hugging. Yes, hugging. I didn't kiss. I had a rule that I wasn't going to kiss anyone until I got married. {That rule fell apart though when in my first week of college, Ryan Simsich chased me down and kissed me.} So, we were outside hugging, he kissed my cheek when...{wait for it} he asked me to wait for him.

It was like the heavens had opened up and the blessings were just pouring down on me. I was so excited {'cause really, isn't that every good Mormon girls dream?}! He picked me! After all the torture in high school of my unrequited love, he picked ME to wait for HIM! Of course I said yes. Then, my dad flicked the porch light and it was time to go in.

So, he left for the MTC and I wrote faithfully. We talked about how much we loved each other and what our kids' names were going to be when he got back and when we were going to get married and have kids and all that stuff you dream about when you're young and stupid.

When it came time for him to leave for Brazil, I rode with his parents up to the airport, stayed at his aunts house, and was a full-fledged card carrying member of his family. The airport was hard, but I was ok because I knew that in 1-1/2 years, he would come home and we would be getting married.

We continued to write back and forth for about a year until I ran into a friend from high school at college. We talked about a few things and I asked her if she was dating anyone.

"No" she said, "I'm waiting for Bob."

I couldn't believe it. This girl was waiting for my Bob?!

I said, among a few other things, "Oh really, I'm waiting for him too." Then I pulled some of his letters out of my backpack and she did the same. There it was, the proof, he had strung us both along. We had been played. Our letters were so similar. It was like he had cut and pasted. I was devastated. Come to find out, we weren't the only ones. I think there were two or three others that he had also asked to wait for him.

That cheating, lying dog! Although, it was kind of smart on his end. Get four or five girls waiting for you and that way if some of them get married you still have options. I was so upset though. I had written faithfully, I had sent him packages full of the things he liked. And let me tell you, packages to Brazil are not cheap! We had even exchanged CTR rings. I sent him a scathing letter about trust and love and all those things naive girls in their teens think they know EVERYTHING about and sent it on it's way. I never heard back.

A few months after we moved here, we were in the grocery store when who should come around the corner but Bob. I saw him, he saw me and then he promptly turned around and went the other way.

Since then, I've seen him quite a few times. I don't hold a grudge and I'm not mad, I'm glad things turned out the way they did. So, every time I see him I say hi and give him a smile and a wave. He gives me a little head nod, probably afraid I'm going to run him down in the parking lot, and goes on his way, watching his back, afraid for the next time he sees me. Maybe I should apologize for the scathing letter? Naw, I'll keep him scared for now.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That's also very funny! I can't wait to find out which of these stories are true and which is false! They are really funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, as weird as this may sound, I vote for story three... I know that some of it (perhaps a lot) is true. But, there are some details I'm not sure about. I know the Ryan Simsich thing is true. :o) But, I could just be forgetting the rest of it. Is Bob really a police officer, now? Anyway, if I'm wrong, I'm excited to see which is the lie.

    ReplyDelete